Friday, 21 March 2014

tested


It was delicious, easy and just as good as left overs for lunch today. This will definitely be getting onto the regular rotation list, despite not being kid friendly. There's no way to adapt this to reduce the heat - it is afterall essentially meat and beans fried in chilli paste.
The heat was softened a little by making the som tum (green papaya salad) with no chilli at all and serving it with gai yang (grilled chicken), also a dish with no chilli, and sticky rice, but it is an assault on the palate in the best possible way. Rich and zingy with lime leaves, my mouth is still watering at the thought.
I'm looking forward to trying it with prawn or chicken in place of pork, though I'm finding it hard to believe it could be better than this. I've also seen versions with a little coconut cream or maybe even coconut meat, grated in, that give the dish a different texture so I might try some of those variations too.
 

Pad prik khing moo (stir fried pork in chilli paste)

3 tbs peanut oil

Prik khing curry paste - I used the small 125gm tin pictured above, though this dish is so good I think I'll try making my own next time.

1 pork fillet - mine was about 430gm - thin sliced against the grain

1 bunch of snake beans cut in 3-4cm length - I am sure green beans would be good too. I've seen this dish with varying proportions of meat to beans so you know, whatever you like goes.

1tbs palm sugar

3 tbs fish sauce

2 tbs chopped roasted peanuts

8 kaffir lime leaves very finely sliced

Heat the oil in a wok or heavy pan on medium heat. Add paste and fry, turning often, for up to 5 minutes. It should smell really pungent and mouth watering. It it gets to sticking on the bottom of the pan you can add a little water, but keep this as minimal as possible.

Add the meat and turn through the paste, stirring well. Cook for up to 5 minutes, or until meat is almost done.

Add beans, stirring, and cook for a few minutes until beans start to soften a little. Add a little water if needed.

Add leaves, half the sugar and half the fish sauce, stir well and taste. Continue adding the sugar and sauce a little at a time until the flavour is dominantly salty but not bitter. Sprinkle through nuts and serve with rice and a cooling salad.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Looks delicious, might have to try it!

brenda sharpe said...

Hi Sooz, (I met you in Melbourne at Ink and Spindle!) I'm paying my Liebster Award forward to you and your blog! I really enjoy reading it. Hop over to my blog to find out the rules etc for the award.. if you choose to accept. http://bravo-jack.com/ivegotaliebster/

Joanna said...

Oh boy, I can't wait to try this! Thanks to an older post of yours,som tum is often seen on our table. I really enjoy your blog, thanks for writing it.